The University of the Third Age - Welwyn Hatfield
Gardening group at the Swiss Garden at Shuttleworth
Gardening Study Group
Leader: Carole King, 01707 323167
The group meets on the 2nd Monday of the month, at 10.00a.m. during the Autumn and Winter months at the Verulam Communal Hall, Verulam Close, Welwyn Garden City, AL7 3PH. (click here for map). The meeting format is that coffee and biscuits are served from 10.00 a.m. and in the spring months tickets for trips are sold. The speaker is booked from 10.30 a.m. We ask for a donation of £2.00 per meeting at the Verulam venue to cover the cost of Speakers and includes coffee and biscuits.
Trips for Garden Group members are selected at our planning meeting in February each year.
Meetings for 2017 are held at Verulam Close. Please note there will not be meetings in JUNE/JULY/AUGUST and SEPTEMBER as we will have garden outings during these months.
Programme for 2017/2018:
- WEDNESDAY, 26th JULY: Visit to Cliveden, a coach trip organised by Ann Davies and Mary Middleton
- MONDAY, 14th AUGUST: Visit to Sissinghurst, a coach trip organised by Anne Freimanis.
- WEDNESDAY, 20th SEPTEMBER: Visit to Theobalds Farmhouse Garden, a half day car/bus trip organised by Sandra Williams, Janet Towers and Carole King.
- Monday, 9th October: Speaker George Lockwood, 'Ferns and their companion plants'
- Monday, 13th November: Speaker, Andrew Wood, 'Butterflies of Hertfordshire'. A talk based on his book of the same name.
- Monday, 11th December: A compilation programme from members of their favourite gardens plus Christmas nibbles.
- Monday, 8th January - New Year lunch (N.B. not at Verulam venue) Venue etc to be arranged.
- Monday, 12th February: Planning meeting for 2018 trips plus quiz.
- Monday, 12th March:The Art of Pruning: Speaker Neale Holmes-Smith. As this will be a practical demonstration members are requested to bring along their secateurs. Plus trip tickets for sale.
- Monday, 9th April: Speaker, John Tyler 'The World of Fungi'. Plus plant swap table and ticket sales for outings in 2018.
- Monday, 14th May: Urban Oasii: Re-greening England. Speaker, Anne Luder plus ticket sales.
Web-site created by Roger Swaine.