The University of the Third Age - Welwyn Hatfield
Gardening Study Group
Leader: Carole King, 01707 323167
The group meets on the 2nd Monday of the month, at 10.00a.m. during the Autumn and Winter months at the Verulam Communal Hall, Verulam Close, Welwyn Garden City, AL7 3PH. (click here for map). The meeting format is that coffee and biscuits are served from 10.00 a.m. and in the spring months tickets for trips are sold. The speaker is booked from 10.30 a.m. We ask for a donation of £2.00 per meeting at the Verulam venue to cover the cost of Speakers and includes coffee and biscuits.
Please note there will not be meetings in JUNE/JULY/AUGUST and SEPTEMBER as we will have garden outings during these months.
Programme for 2018/2019:
Meetings at Verulam, 2018:
- Monday, 8th October, 'From Field to Floribunda' - Speaker, garden designer Alison Green.
- Monday, 12th November, 'Plants for Midsummer on' - Speaker, George Lockwood
- Monday, 10th December: Voting results for 2019 trips and volunteers to organise them please. Followed by a short talk by Peter Jenkins about the history of the group helping at the local Hospice garden. Afterwards there will be a DVD of Highgrove Garden. PLEASE NOTE THIS MEETING WILL START PROMPTLY AT 10.00 a.m. with the speaker first, followed by the coffee break (different from our usual programme). The DVD will follow the coffee break. Tickets will also be on sale for the annual lunch in January.
- Monday, 14th January - Annual Lunch at the Mercure Hotel,
Hatfield. Organiser Corrie Godfrey.
- Monday, 11th February: 'Making Space for Wildlife' - speaker, John Tyler
- Monday, 11th March: 'What Do I do with this Space?' - speaker, Darren Lerigo, plus trip tickets for sale.
- Monday, 8th April: Speaker, John Roper on the subject of ‘The Recovery and Restoration of the Danesbury Fernery - plus trip tickets for sale and a plant swap table.
- Thursday 9th May: afternoon visit to Barn/Serge Hill gardens. Organisers, Jane Westoby and Marion Cleveland.
- Monday, 13th May: 'Water Gardening' creating and maintaining an attractive pond and bog garden. - speaker, Neale Holmes-Smith. Plus ticket sales and maybe a plant table.
- Thursday, 20th June, coach trip to Borde Hill. Organiser, Corrie Godfrey
- Wednesday, 24th July, coach trip to Kelmarsh Hall/The Old Rectory
Garden, Northants. Organisers Mary Middleton and Ann Davis.
- Monday, 5th August: Hever Castle coach trip. Organisers Helen Bristow and Chris Savage.
- Thursday, 19th September, coach trip to Bressingham Garden. Organiser
Web-site created by Roger Swaine.