The University of the Third Age - Welwyn Hatfield
Gardening group at the Swiss Garden at Shuttleworth
Gardening Study Group
Leader: Carole King, 01707 323167
The group meets on the 2nd Monday of the month, at 10.00a.m. during the Autumn and Winter months at the Verulam Communal Hall, Verulam Close, Welwyn Garden City, AL7 3PH. (click here for map). The meeting format is that coffee and biscuits are served from 10.00 a.m. and in the spring months tickets for trips are sold. The speaker is booked from 10.30 a.m. We ask for a donation of £2.00 per meeting at the Verulam venue to cover the cost of Speakers and includes coffee and biscuits.
Please note there will not be meetings in JUNE/JULY/AUGUST and SEPTEMBER as we will have garden outings during these months.
Programme for 2018/2019:
- MONDAY, 12th March:The Art of Pruning: Speaker Neale Holmes-Smith. As this will be a practical demonstration members are requested to bring along their secateurs. Plus trip tickets for sale.
- MONDAY, 9th April: Speaker, John Tyler 'The World of Fungi'. Plus plant swap table and ticket sales for outings in 2018.
- MONDAY, 14th May: Urban Oasii: Re-greening England. Speaker, Anne Luder plus ticket sales.
- THURSDAY, 24th May:1/2 day trip to Easton Lodge, Great Dunmow : bus/car trip - organiser, Jane Westoby.
- MONDAY, 11th June: Mottisfont Abbey, Hampshire, coach trip,
organiser, Anne Freimanis
- THURSDAY, 12th July : Great Dixter, coach trip, organisers Mary Middleton and Ann Davies
- WEDNESDAY, 22nd August : Riverhill Himalayan Garden and Great Comp (2 Kent gardens) Coach trip, organiser Linda Kent-Taylor
- MONDAY, 17th September : Beales Arboretum, Cockfosters. 1/2 day trip bus and car, organiser Carole King.
Meetings at Verulam:
- Monday, 8th October, 'From Field to Floribunda' - Speaker, garden designer Alison Green.
- Monday, 12th November, 'Plants for Midsummer on' - Speaker, George Lockwood
- Monday, 10th December: Results of the voting for garden group trips plus DVD of Highgrove Garden and a gardening quiz.
Web-site created by Roger Swaine.