The University of the Third Age - Welwyn Hatfield
Gardening Study Group
Leader: Carole King, 01707 323167
The group meets on the 2nd Monday of the month, at 10.00a.m. during the Autumn and Winter months at the Verulam Communal Hall, Verulam Close, Welwyn Garden City, AL7 3PH. (click here for map). The meeting format is that coffee and biscuits are served from 10.00 a.m. and in the spring months tickets for trips are sold. The speaker is booked from 10.30 a.m. We ask for a donation of £2.00 per meeting at the Verulam venue to cover the cost of Speakers and includes coffee and biscuits. Please note that in April, 2020 there will not be a meeting at Verulam as the 2nd Monday is Easter Monday.
Please note there will not be meetings in JUNE/JULY/AUGUST and SEPTEMBER as we will have garden outings during these months.
- Monday, 14th January - Annual Lunch at the Mercure Hotel,
Hatfield. Organiser Corrie Godfrey.
- Monday, 11th February: 'Making Space for Wildlife' - speaker, John Tyler
- Monday, 11th March: 'What Do I do with this Space?' - speaker, Darren Lerigo, plus trip tickets for sale.
- Monday, 8th April: Speaker, John Roper on the subject of "The Recovery and Restoration of the Danesbury Fernery" - plus trip tickets for sale and a plant swap table.
- Thursday 9th May: afternoon visit to Barn/Serge Hill gardens. Organisers, Jane Westoby and Marion Cleveland.
- Monday, 13th May: 'Water Gardening' creating and maintaining an attractive pond and bog garden. - speaker, Neale Holmes-Smith. Plus ticket sales and maybe a plant table.
- Thursday, 20th June, coach trip to Borde Hill. Organiser, Corrie Godfrey
- Wednesday, 24th July, coach trip to Kelmarsh Hall/The Old Rectory
Garden, Northants. Organisers Mary Middleton and Ann Davis.
- Monday, 5th August: Hever Castle coach trip. Organisers Helen Bristow and Chris Savage.
- Thursday, 19th September, coach trip to Bressingham Garden. Organiser
- Monday, 14th October: "Plant and Garden Photography", Speaker, professional photographer, Michael Howes.
- Monday, 11th November: Christmas Floral Arrangements, demonstration by Lisa Sampson from Brickwall Florists.
- Monday, 9th December : "Gardening in the 3rd Age – from Gadget to Gizmos", Speaker, Anne Luder.
- Monday, 13th January: Annual lunch TBA. There will not be a meeting at Verulam this month.
- Monday, 10th February: "Soil Structure and Healthy Soils", Speaker, George Lockwood. Plus possibly ticket sales for 2020 outings.
- Monday, 9th March : "Trees and People", Speaker, John Tyler. Plus ticket sales for trips and a plant swap table.
- NO MEETING IN APRIL
- Monday, 11th May: "Euphorbias", Speaker Carole King, plus a garden quiz (please bring paper and a writing implement). Also ticket sales for trips and another plant swap table.
Web-site created by Roger Swaine.