The University of the Third Age
This page is for information that is sent to this U3A branch that may be of interest to the members. Please check out this page periodically.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO LISTEN TO CHILDREN READ IN LOCAL PRIMARY SCHOOLS
Can you spare an hour or two a week to listen to children read in a local primary school? "Schoolreaders" is looking for more volunteers in Hertfordshire to carry out this important role.
Reading time for many children at home and at school is often insufficient and one in four children are now leaving primary school unable to read to the required standard. This can have a lifelong consequence. No qualifications are necessary, just a good command of spoken and written English.
Schoolreaders is flexible and will match your availability to an appropriate, local school. Our volunteers find the scheme incredibly rewarding, knowing that a few hours helping a child learn to read each week can have such a great impact on their life chances.
Please visit the schoolreaders website (www.schoolreaders.org.uk) by clicking here to join or call 01234 924111 for further information.
This is a system to pair up members having unwanted goods with members who have something that they need. Please call Eileen on 01707 273218 with "Offers" and "Needs".
Give and Take
- Bathroom wall cabinet with glass sliding doors
- Bathroom scales
- Outdoor rotary airer
- Bedside lamp minus shade
- Oil-filled radiator
- FIRM single mattress - good condition
- (from Hazel Bell) Over 100 of the free data CD's/DVDs that used to come with PC plus and PC Pro magazines: Also around 100 PC plus CDs and DVDs, from the period approximately 2001-2004. Approx 30 or 40 PC Pro DVDs, from around 2009.
Perhaps as many as 200 floppy discs, containing various historical Microsoft programs, such as Fortran, Paradox, etc, and goodness knows what else
- (from Hazel Bell) We also have small (2" high) screw-top jars, containing (filled to various levels) coins (pre-Euro) from -
- Austria - half-full
- France - 1/3 full
- Germany - 1/3
- Italy - 1/4
- Malaysia - a few
- Netherlands - 1/3
- Portugal - 1/3
- Spain - a few
- (from Mike Dorrington - 01707 690127 or 07796 198 701
- FLYMO GARDEN VAC – An electric tool for vacuuming or blowing gardellon leaves, complete with operating instructions, collecting bag, shoulder strap and long electric cable.
- QUALCAST BOSCH LAWNRAKER – An electric tool for domestic lawn raking, scarifying and for the collection of leaves in the lawn area, complete with operating instructions.
- Triple dressing table mirror with cherry wood surround – middle one 25”h x 18”w, overall 25”h x 33”w.
- Piano (acoustic, not electric).
- Large mirrors (preferably with wrought iron surrounds) to put in a garden.
- Narrow hall table with drawers & cupboards underneath
- Planks of wood suitable for raised beds on the allotment.
- Scaffolding poles/wooden poles – support system for runner beans - and any other useful items for an allotment, e.g. netting etc.
General U3A notices
Free Books Hatfield, a local not-for-profit charity, is looking for volunteers to help run their bookshop in the Hatfield Galleria. They give out free books to members of the public with the aim of saving unwanted books from landfill, and promoting education and literacy. They try not to throw any books away and have an enormous range of books including academic text books, local history, maps, cookery, travel, novels and children's literature.
If you'd like to help please contact Lynne Paul (firstname.lastname@example.org) or email@example.com .
Do you know someone who is blind or visually impaired? That would like to hear what's going on in the local area?
WHATnews! is a local charity run by volunteers. We record excerpts from the Welwyn & Hatfield Times onto CD, and deliver them to your door for free.
Please call either Robert on 07710 177 271, or Hilary on 07960 865 660
Further information at http://www.whatnews.org.uk
If you're a man, 65 or older, you can get a scan to see if you have an "Abdominal Aortic Aneurism" (an enlargement of the main blood vessel in the abdomen which, if left untreated, can be fatal). The scan is free and painless, and takes about 20 minutes.
Ring the Hertfordshire AAA Screening office on 01727 897719 to get an appointment. You can also visit "aaa.screening.nhs.uk" for more information.
Small Ads (WelHat U3A members only!)
Video Transfer to DVD Service from £10
Save your video memories, we copy VHS and other videos to digital DVD
The basic price is £10 to transfer any tape to DVD, but if you want it collected and returned to your house there’s a small extra charge. You don’t pay a thing until the work is done.
Having your family videos on a mobile phone or computer could be the perfect present to your children or grandchildren, and don’t forget wedding videos and holidays all on tape but fading away.
MOST TAPES CATERED FOR
VHS - Mini VHS-C - Video8 - Video Hi8 - Digital8 - V8 or DV, Mini DV tape
We are also happy to try and repair your damaged tapes.
For more information please call Valerie on:
Web-site created by Roger Swaine.